英语资讯
News

华尔街中级英语学习教程第3课:找人Act3 (MP3和文本下载)

Source: 恒星英语学习网    2016-07-14  我要投稿   论坛   Favorite  

JOHN: Where’s the phone booth? It’s just around the corner, I think - ah, here it is!

JOHN: Clive: 011 621 8056. Let’s hope he's in.

1ST GIRL: ...so did you take him home, then?

2ND GIRL: Yes, I asked him in for a coffee. Well, first we just sat on the sofa and chatted, but then, do you know what he did next?

JOHN: Excuse me! Is Clive there, please?

2ND GIRL: Who's that?

1ST GIRL: I don't know.

JOHN: I'd like to speak with Clive Berry, please!

2ND GIRL: Listen, this is a private conversation; how dare you?

1ST GIRL: Dirty old man!

2ND GIRL: You'd better get off the line.

JOHN: I'm sorry! I thought you were my brother. Never mind.

JOHN: 011 621 8056. Please let me get through to him this time!

CLIVE: Hello! Clive Berry speaking! Hello!

JOHN: Gee, no! I've spent my last quarter! I don’t have any more money! I'll have to call the operator.

PHONE OPERATOR: Number, please.

JOHN: Pardon?

OPERATOR: What number are you calling from?

JOHN: Oh, I see. Er… 021 696 2151.

OPERATOR: And what number are you trying to call?

JOHN: New Camford 621 8056. The area code for New Camford is 011.

OPERATOR: I know. What difficulty have you had, caller?

JOHN: You see, I don’t have any money. When I came to this phone booth I’d just got some change, but -

OPERATOR: So you want to make a collect call, is that right?

JOHN: A collect call, that's right.

OPERATOR: And what name shall I give?

JOHN: Pardon?

OPERATOR: What's your name?

JOHN: Oh, er… John!

OPERATOR: Hold the line, please, caller.

CLIVE: Hello! Clive Berry speaking!

OPERATOR: I have a collect call from Washdon for you.

CLIVE: What? Who from?

OPERATOR: The name he gave was John.

CLIVE: John who?

OPERATOR: Will you accept the call?

CLIVE: No way!

OPERATOR: Are you still there, caller?

JOHN: Yes, yes! Hello Clive! How are you?

OPERATOR: I haven't put you through, caller. He didn't accept the call.

JOHN: What? But he's my brother! Didn't you tell him it was his own brother who wanted to speak with him?

OPERATOR: No, I didn't. You didn't tell me.

JOHN: Please, will you try again? Just once! And tell him it's his brother John.

OPERATOR: Very well. Hold the line, please.

CLIVE: Hello? Clive Berry here!

OPERATOR: This is the operator.

CLIVE: Oh, no, not again!

OPERATOR: The collect call from Washdon is from your brother John. Will you accept the call?

CLIVE: Oh, alright!

OPERATOR: You're through, caller!

JOHN: Hello, Clive! John here! Look, I'm sorry about all this. I had got a quarter when I tried to call you first, but I got a crossed line, you see, so I lost it - the quarter, I mean - and then, when I got through to you, I'd forgotten that I hadn't got any more money, so I got cut off, and then I had to call the operator, and -

CLIVE: It's alright, John. You needn't give a long explanation. It's the sort of thing I expect from you. How are you keeping, anyway? How's the plastic box business?

JOHN: Oh, I've moved out of plastic boxes, Clive. I'm in the entertainment business now.

CLIVE: Are you really?

JOHN: In fact, that's what I'm calling you about. You see, I'm managing this pop group, and I thought they could maybe play at your club.

CLIVE: I see. It's not exactly my club, by the way. I'm just the entertainments secretary.

JOHN: But you do have music and dancing evenings, don't you?

CLIVE: Yes, we do. Each Friday evening we have ballroom dancing, a singer or two; and a bit of light entertainment, you know. But tell me about this group: what are they called?

JOHN: Oh! I've forgotten, I'm afraid.

CLIVE: That's a good start. Well, what kind of music do they play?

JOHN: Gee, I don't really know. I'm sorry.

CLIVE: Come on John, how the hell do you expect me to book them if you don't know anything about them? Really! I mean: what instruments do they play? Piano, guitar, what? I mean, do you really know these guys?

JOHN: Oh, yes; I've seen them alright; I've spoken to them. You see, I'd just been to this amazing seminar, and then I saw this advertisement in a record shop window, which said-

CLIVE: Can we keep to the point, please? I'd like to help you John, but you're not giving me very much to go on. Can't you tell me anything about them at all?

JOHN: Er… hey, yes! One of them said she thought Tony Moroni was fantastic!

CLIVE: Well, why didn't you say so before? They're a sort of Tony Moroni-style group, are they? That's fine: good clean family entertainment. Just tell them to play a few Moroni songs, OK? How much do they charge for, say, 2 hours, with a 15-minute break in the middle?

JOHN: Oh, er, I hadn't really thought about that.

CLIVE: It had better not be too much; after all, they're completely unknown artists. Shall we say - $50?

JOHN: Oh! Oh alright, if you say so.

CLIVE: Fine! Well, I’ll book them for Friday night, then. I'll send you a map, showing you how to get to the club, ok?

JOHN: OK, thanks Clive.

CLIVE: And I'll look forward to seeing you on Friday. Goodbye, John.

JOHN: Goodbye!

JOHN: Yeah! You’re gonna be someone, you’re gonna shine like the sun …

将本页收藏到:
上一篇:华尔街中级英语学习教程第3课:找人Act4 (MP3和文本下载)
下一篇:华尔街中级英语学习教程第3课:找人Act2 (MP3和文本下载)

最新更新
论坛精彩内容
网站地图 - 学习交流 - 恒星英语论坛 - 关于我们 - 广告服务 - 帮助中心 - 联系我们
Copyright ©2006-2007 www.Hxen.com All Rights Reserved