英语情景口语[86]:natural disasters自然灾害

Source:  Onion  2008-01-08  我要投稿   恒星英语学习论坛   Favorite  

音频下载[点击右键另存为]

086 natural disasters

Words
Tsunami earthquake volcano volcanic eruption avalanche landside
Flood hurricane monsoon tornado drought cave-in
medical supplies food aid famine tidal wave forest fire tremor
lava blaze wind climate change destroy casualties victim destruction damage warning rescue starvation

phrases
send/fly in relief supplies
evacuate a town/an area
experience a natural disaster
cause damage estimated at 10 million dollars
relief work
risk of disease breaking out
put out a forest fire
hit/ strike without warning
a(flood) brought on by (heavy rian)
relief agency

beginner
a: do you think that climate change is responsible for the recent floods?
B: it could be. There are floods in this country almost every year, but in recent years they have been more widespread and more frequent.
A: it seems that the climate in this country is changing.
B; the summers are hotter. The last three summers have been the hottest for the past 200 years. There have also been stronger winds.
A: I think that the changing climate is a sign that we are causing too much damage to the environment.
B; I think you’re right. Climate change naturally over time, but I think that human activities are speeding up the change. I wish that government would join together and try to resolve the problem.
A: me too. If we don’t do something soon, It might be too late.

Intemp3ediate
A: are there any interesting stories in the newspaper today?
B; there are a few stories about natural disasters. There is a massive forest fire in Australia. It covers several square kilometers of land has destroyed many more square kilometers.
A; was it caused accidentally or naturally? Sometimes it gets so hot that fires begin naturally in Australia and Africa.
B: nobody knows at the moment, but it has been very hot there recently. The drought in Africa is causing starvation. Millions of people have migrated to try and find food.
A: what is the international community doing to help?
B; the European union has sent several plants with relief supplies. Several countries have sent soldiers to distribute food and medical supplies. Refugee camps have been set up across the region.
A: how many countries have been affected?
B: six have been seriously affected, but the refugees are also migrating to several surrounding countries.
A; I saw on the tv yesterday that there has been another earthquake in iran.
B; yes. There have been a few there recently. They say that this one was not a big quake. The Iranians are dealing with it on their own. They have purchased some special equipment to find people buried under rubble.
A; does the newspaper say anything about casualties?
B; so far, less than 20 people have died, but over 100 are in hospital.

将本页收藏到:
上一篇:英语情景口语[87]:natural resources自然资源
下一篇:英语情景口语[91]:1time时间

最新更新
论坛精彩内容
网站地图 - 学习交流 - 恒星英语论坛 - 关于我们 - 广告服务 - 帮助中心 - 联系我们
Copyright ©2006-2007 www.Hxen.com All Rights Reserved