
William: Hello and welcome to the English We Speak, I'm William Kremer.         
威廉:大家好,欢迎收听地道英语节目,我是威廉·克莱默。         
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li.         
杨莉:我是杨莉。         
William: Li, are you wearing make-up?         
威廉:莉,你化妆了吗?         
Yang Li: Yes, do you like it? It's not too much?         
杨莉:是啊,你喜欢吗?不会太浓吧?         
William: I think you look sick.         
威廉:我觉得你看起来很酷。         
Yang Li: What?         
杨莉:什么?         
William: Sick!         
威廉:很酷!         
Yang Li: But I feel fine. I'm perfectly healthy.         
杨莉:可是我感觉很好。我非常健康。         
William: No, you don't look ill Li, you look sick!         
威廉:不,莉,你看上去并不像生病,你看起来很酷!         
Yang Li: Sorry I just don't get it. I'm not ill!         
杨莉:抱歉,我没明白。我没有生病!         
William: Sorry Li, I should explain. It's our expression for the day. Lots of young people in the UK use the word sick to mean cool or great.         
威廉:很抱歉,莉,我来解释一下。这是我们今天要学的表达方式。英国有许多年轻人用sick这个词来表达酷或是很棒的意思。         
Yang Li: English can be weird can't it? Sick means cool?         
杨莉:英语很奇怪,不是吗?sick竟然有酷的意思!         
William: Yes, it is a bit odd. I know one teacher who was confused by this word when his student used it in a class.         
威廉:对,是有点奇怪。我知道有一个老师,他的学生在课堂上使用这个词的时候他非常困惑。         
Yang Li: Really? What did they say?         
杨莉:真的吗?他们是怎么说的?         
William: Something like this:         
威廉:就像这样:         
Student: Mr Griffiths!         
学生:格里菲斯先生!         
Teacher: Yes?         
老师:什么事?         
Student: Sir, are you wearing new shoes?         
学生:先生,您穿了新鞋吗?         
Teacher: Yes, I am. Why?         
老师:是啊。怎么了?         
Student: Because they are sick!         
学生:它们好酷啊!         
Teacher: Sick?         
老师:糟糕?         
Student: Totally sick, sir.         
学生:先生,非常酷。         
Teacher: Well, young man. As you find them so terrible, how about you give me 100 lines saying… saying…         
老师:嗯,年轻人。既然你觉得它们很糟糕,那你给我抄写一百遍怎么样……         
Student: No, no, I like them! Sick means cool!         
学生:不,不是,我很喜欢这双鞋!sick的意思是很酷!         
Teacher: First I've heard of it.         
老师:我是第一次听到这种说法。         
Yang Li: Lines. Lines are a form of punishment which teachers used to give students–copying out the same sentence again and again. You never had to write lines, did you William?         
杨莉:罚抄。罚抄是老师用来惩罚学生的一种方法,让学生一遍又一遍地抄写同一个句子。威廉,你从来没被罚抄过,是吧?         
William: Erm... Maybe I won't go into that here!         
威廉:额……在这里我就不多说了。         
Yang Li: So anyway, what do I say if I really am sick?         
杨莉:不管怎么样,要是我想说我病了要怎么说呢?         
William: I'm feeling sick. Or I'm feeling ill.         
威廉:我感觉不舒服。或者说我感觉好像生病了。         
Yang Li: So we can work it out from the context.         
杨莉:所以我们可以通过上下文进行理解。         
William: Exactly, that's it. Anyway, like I was saying I love the make-up Li. But maybe next time don't wear green eye-shadow.         
威廉:没错。就是这样。不管怎样,就像我刚刚说的,莉,我喜欢你今天的化妆。不过下次不要画绿色眼影了。         
Yang Li: Why?         
杨莉:为什么?         
William: It makes you look, erm sick.         
威廉:那让你看上去像生病了。         
Yang Li: Oh, I give up. Bye.         
杨莉:哦,我放弃了。再见。         
William: Bye.         
威廉:再见。