William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm William Kremer. 
威廉:大家好,欢迎收听地道
英语节目,我是威廉·克莱默。 
Wang Fei: And I'm Wang Fei. So how are you today? 
王飞:我是王飞。你今天怎么样? 
William: Two ticks... 
威廉:稍等一下…… 
Wang Fei: What? 
王飞:什么? 
William: Give me two shakes, Wang Fei, I just need to... 
威廉:王飞,给我点儿时间,我只是要…… 
Wang Fei: Eh? What's that? 
王飞:什么?那是什么? 
William: I'll be with you 
in a jiffy... 
威廉:我马上就和你一起主持…… 
Wang Fei: In a jiffy. What's a jiffy? William, what are you talking about? 
王飞:In a jiffy。jiffy是什么?威廉,你在说什么? 
William: There, done now. I just needed to send a text. 
威廉:好了,搞定了。我只是要发个短信。 
Wang Fei: But what were all those ticks and jiffys? 
王飞:不过刚才你说的那ticks和jiffys都是什么啊? 
William: Ahh, and shakes? 
威廉:还有shakes是吗? 
Wang Fei: Yes. 
王飞:对。 
William: Well they're all expressions of time, Wang Fei. So they're ways of saying 
'just a moment', or 
'just a minute'. 
威廉:嗯,这些都是有关时间的表达方式,王飞。这些都是“稍等一下”、“马上”的表达方式。 
Wang Fei: I see. 
王飞:我明白了。 
Can you come and help me lift this sofa? 
你能来帮我搬下这个沙发吗? 
Yeah, I'll be with you in two ticks. 
好的,我马上就过去帮你。 
William: Two ticks. In English, we say clocks make this noise: tick tock, tick tock. So two ticks is just like saying two seconds. 
威廉:two ticks。在
英语中,我们说钟表会发出这样的声音:滴答,滴答。所以two ticks就相当于两秒钟。 
I said, can you come and help me here? It's too heavy for me. 
我说,你能不能过来帮帮我?这个沙发对我来说太重了。 
Yes, yes. I'll be there in two shakes. 
好,好的。我马上就来帮你。 
Wang Fei: Hmm. Two shakes? 
王飞:嗯。Two shakes? 
William: Yeah, the full phrase here is 'two shakes of a lamb's tail', but we shorten this to 'two shakes'. 
威廉:对,完整的短语是“小羊摇两下尾巴的时间”,不过我们会缩短成two shakes。 
Wang Fei: Oh I see. Two shakes of a lamb's tail. English can be a very weird language! 
王飞:哦,我明白了。“小羊摇两下尾巴的时间”。
英语还真是奇怪的语言! 
William: Yes, it can be! I guess that this is because lambs' tails shake very fast, so two shakes is a short time! And finally... 
威廉:对,是这样!我想这是因为小羊的尾巴摇的非常快,所以摇两下只用很短的时间!最后…… 
Look Neil, this sofa isn't going to lift itself. 
Get a move on! 
看,尼尔,沙发是不会自己长腿走的。快点过来! 
I know, I know. I said I'll be with you in a jiffy. 
我知道,我知道。我说过我马上就会去帮你的。 
Wang Fei: In a jiffy. So in a jiffy also means 'in 
a short 
space of time'. But what's a jiffy? 
王飞:In a jiffy,这也是“短时间”的意思。不过jiffy是什么? 
William: Well, you know what, Wang Fei? Nobody 
is completely
 sure of the origin of this word. But it has been in use for over 200 years! 
威廉:嗯,王飞,你知道吗?没人准确地知道这个词的来源。不过这个词已经用了200多年了! 
Wang Fei: 200 years! That's quite a long time. More than a jiffy! 
王飞:200年!那真是很长时间了。比短时间可长多了。 
William: Yes, and that's several billion shakes of a lamb's tail. 
威廉:对,那可是小羊摇了几十亿次尾巴的时间啊。 
Wang Fei: Yes and all those ticks of a clock! Bye for now. 
王飞:对啊,还有那些时钟的滴答声。现在该说再见了。 
William: Bye bye. 
威廉:再见。 
Are you going to help me with sofa or not?! 
你到底要不要帮我搬沙发? 
What sofa? You need help with a sofa? 
什么沙发?你需要帮忙搬沙发吗?
 
	  将本页收藏到:
                       
	  上一篇:我们讲的英语第147期:Touchy-feely 情感外露;煽情的  
	      下一篇:我们讲的英语第149期:Swizz 骗局