英语资讯
News

慢速英语:语法与母亲节

Source: 恒星英语学习网    2021-05-07   English BBS   Favorite  

Many countries around the world will celebrate Mother's Day on May 9th.

In celebration of the holiday, we will explore what a Mother's Day poem can teach you about English grammar.

You will learn about the imperative mood - a way that English speakers form commands or instructions. You will also learn about negative statements.

Let's begin our report with a few important terms and ideas.

Imperative mood

In English, verbs have different moods. Mood means the speaker's purpose or reason for saying something. It is separate from a verb's tense or place in time - past, present, and so on.

There is the indicative mood - when a speaker makes a statement that expresses an idea or fact. Here is an example:

My name is John.

Notice that the subject of the sentence is "my name." English has an imperative mood – when a speaker makes a statement that gives an order, command or instruction. Such sentences generally do not have subjects. Here is an example:

Finish your homework before you go to bed.

Notice that this statement suggests a subject, "you," but it is missing. Another important word, "will," is missing also.

The imperative mood does not really have a tense. When you remove the word "will," you remove what marks the verb's tense.

In the book "Doing Grammar," Max Morenberg notes that "An imperative is the only English sentence whose main verb is infinitive."

Let's explore imperatives a bit more in a poem by Bruce Lansky. It is called On Mother's Day.

On Mother's Day

Lansky begins his poem with the following words:

On Mother's Day it isn't smart

To give your mom a broken heart.

So here are things you shouldn't say

To dear old mom on Mother's Day

From these lines, you can tell that Lansky is going to use the imperative mood to give a group of instructions.

Lansky writes the following:

Don't tell her that you'll never eat

A carrot, celery, bean, or beet.

Don't tell her you think smoking's cool.

Don't tell her you've dropped out of school.

Notice that Lansky uses the negative form of the imperative three times with the words "don't tell her."

How did Lansky arrive at these exact words? Here is the process by which English speakers make the negative form of the imperative.

You begin with a full statement, such as:

You will not tell her you think smoking is cool.

Then you take out the words "you will."

Add the word "do" before "not," as in:

Do not tell her you think smoking is cool.

Finally, combine the words "do" and "not."

Don't tell her you think smoking is cool.

For those who hope to write one day, Lansky has a humorous final instruction for Mother's Day.

Don't tell her when you're grown you'll be

A starving poet—just like me.

Closing thoughts

You can use what you have learned today to form instructions (or negative commands) in many kinds of situations.

Any time you need to tell people what to do, think about the imperative mood. But be careful about how you use it. For example, you probably do not want to give too many commands or instructions to your boss – or your mother, for that matter.

I'll end this report with a sentence that uses the imperative mood:

Remember to be kind to your mother on Mother's Day.

I'm John Russell.

将本页收藏到:
上一篇:慢速英语:NASA火星直升机Ingenuity成功实现历史性首飞
下一篇:慢速英语:爱伦·坡《莫格街凶杀案》Part Five

最新更新
论坛精彩内容
网站地图 - 学习交流 - 恒星英语论坛 - 关于我们 - 广告服务 - 帮助中心 - 联系我们
Copyright ©2006-2007 www.Hxen.com All Rights Reserved